You can easily make fruit gums yourself. The delicious sweets are not only popular with children. We’ll show you a simple recipe for homemade fruit gums.
Make fruit gums yourself
- 750 g fruit
- 100 ml water
- 500 g of sugar
- Some granulated sugar
- Wash the fruits thoroughly and remove the stems if necessary.
- Put the clean fruits in a large saucepan. Add 100 milliliters of water.
- Raise the temperature until it starts to boil. Then reduce the heat again and let the fruits simmer for about 10 minutes until they are soft.
- Place a strainer in a sink and pour the fruits into it. This is how the excess water can run off.
- Put the remaining fruits in the pot again. A kind of fruit puree has now arisen.
- Raise the temperature and add the sugar.
- Now let the fruits boil for a while. You should constantly stir the mush with a whisk. So it cannot burn and the mass can boil down evenly.
- Let the sauce simmer until a tough consistency is created that comes off the floor.
- Now lay out a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Pour the fruit mass evenly over the baking sheet. Make sure that the layer is the same thickness everywhere.
- Then let the pulp cool completely.
- Once the mass is cold and dry, you can cut it into small pieces. Then roll the fruit gums in granulated sugar.
- It is best to keep them in a closed can. The fruit gums can be kept for several weeks.
So you vary the homemade fruit gums
You can also omit the sugar on the outside if you want to reduce your sugar consumption. (Photo: CC0 / Pixabay / Mareefe)
- Basically, you can use all types of fruit for the fruit gums. Pay attention to a regional and seasonal selection of your fruits. So you save long transport routes, reduce yours CO2 footprint and can support the regional providers on site.
- Are particularly suitable blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. They give the fruit gums a particularly intense red color. The berries have from July to September season.
- Use fruits of different colors. The fruit gums are colorful and are even more appealing to the children.
- You don’t need any for the recipe gelatin. So the fruit gums are even for vegetarian and vegans.
- You can of course also produce a reduced-sugar variant. To do this, simply add less sugar to the fruit and leave out the crystal sugar at the end. Generally the fruit already has fructose contain, which gives sweetness to the fruit gums. You just have to make sure that you boil the fruits long enough until they have become tough. If this takes too long with less sugar, we will show you which one in another article Gelatin substitute you can use.
You don’t have to buy fruity cherry syrup, you can easily make it in your own kitchen. You only need three ingredients and a few kitchen utensils….